September 29, 2012 (8:00 a.m. — 5:00 p.m.)
With support from New York University’s School of Law and media sponsors (InvestingDaily, Time Moneyland and Mint.com), the Financial Planning Association of New York presents its 10th annual, day-long Financial Fitness Workshop for the public on September 29 at the NYU School of Law. FPA members and keynote speakers will share their collective knowledge, wisdom and experience with upscale residents in the Greater Metropolitan New York area who are motivated to learn more about the financial planning process.
In a time of economic turmoil, Americans need financial planning more than ever.
Joseph W. Jordon, author of "Living a Life of Significance, Dealing with Change," will be the opening speaker. The lunchtime keynote address will be delivered by Nick Murray, author of "Simple Wealth, Inevitalbe Wealth, Everything You Think You Know About Risk Is Wrong." Other session topics include:
- Brokers, Financial Advisors, and Financial Planners: How to Choose What to Expect From Each: How to Find Advice You Can Trust.
- Constructing Your Investment Portfolio: How to Begin, Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds Explained
- Wills, Healthcare Proxies & Trust: What Are the Differences, Who Needs Them and How Are They Used?
- Creating a Financial Plan: Step by Step Guide - How to Create, Implement and Monitor a Plan to Achieve Your Goals
- Residential Real Estate: Co-ops, Condos & Apartments - What Today's Residential Market Looks Like, Dealing with Co-op Boards, Mortgages and Hidden Costs
- Retirement Primer: Understanding Everything You Need to Know to Get the Most Out of Your Plans
- The Quest for Income: How to Structure Assets to Generate Cash Flow.
- How to Save More, Spend Less...and Still Live Well - Smart Techniques to Implement to Get More - Clever Ways to Contain and Cut Costs
- Managing Your Student Loan Debt
- Mutual Funds & ETFs: Basics You Need to Know - How They Work and How to Choose
- Estate Planning for 2012 & Beyond: Moving Past Simple Wills, Protecting Your Estate While Coping with Uncertainity
- Elder Care & Medicare/Medicaid Updates: What Are Your Choices...for Your Parents? Yourself?
- 401(k), Traditional IRA, 403(b): Ins & Outs - Smart Techniques for Contributions, Investment Options, Withdrawals and Required Minimum Distributions
- Constructing Your Investment Portfolio: Strategies to Reduce Volatility and Enhance Returns - Asset Allocation Beyond the Basics
- Maximizing Social Security Benefits: Distribution Strategies for Retirement Account Withdrawals - How to Incorporate Social Security Benefits Into Your Retirement Planning
- Credit Scores & Repair and Identity Theft: How Your Credit is Scored. Steps to Take to Repair It. Guarding Your Identity.
- Buying Your Own Pension Plan: Understanding annuities to Determine If They Are Right for You
To register and view agenda, please visit www.fpany.org. Space is limited and reservations are required. Net proceeds from this event will support Project Renewal, a NY based charity.
October 5, 2012 (11:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.)
The Financial Planning Association of New York has teamed up with the New York Public Library's Science, Industry and Business Library to offer a day of FREE financial education, plus a Financial Fair! Open to all.
Events include nine classes in topics such as Avoiding Investment Fraud, Consumer Credit, Retirement, Tips to Save and Invest Wisely and more.
Free financial counseling by members of the Financial Planning Association and the Credit Crisis Counseling will be available.
Database demonstrations by librarians including Bloomberg, Morningstar and Mergent will be conducted as well.
Financial Fair: Chat with representatives from 15 local, state and government agencies.
Learn more about the event.