The Financial Planning Association® (FPA®), Ameriprise Financial and the Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc. (CFP Board) are pleased to host the 2013 Financial Planning Challenge. The Financial Planning Challenge has been created to support the next generation of financial planners by: engaging students and program directors in the financial planning community; raising awareness of career opportunities; and encouraging learning and networking in the financial planning profession. The Financial Planning Challenge competition criteria have been developed in part to illustrate potential avenues for satisfying the CFP Board Financial Plan Development Course requirements to both students and faculty.
This distinctive competition is designed exclusively for undergraduate degree programs registered with the CFP Board of Standards, or related fields of study. In this challenge, teams compete to advance through three phases:
- Written Financial Planning Case Study
- Financial Planning Case Study Oral Presentation
- "How Do You Know?" Challenge, a game-show style financial planning knowledge contest
In the first phase of the competition all student teams will be given profiles for two hypothetical clients and must prepare a comprehensive financial plan.
After the first phase is judged and awarded, the top eight teams will advance to the next phases of the competition to be held in conjunction with FPA Experience 2013 in Orlando, Florida from October 19-21, 2013. All teams must orally present their case studies to a panel of judges and participate in the "How Do You Know?" Challenge.
The top three winning teams will be awarded a monetary scholarship for their school.
Judges will be selected by each presenting organization and will assess student teams on demonstrating the CFP Board Financial Plan Development Course requirement.
Judges: To Be Announced
- April 19 - Participation Application Deadline
- June 14 - Phase 1 Case Submissions Deadline
- July 31 - Top 8 Student Teams Announced
- Aug 8 - Academic advisor Tele-conference Call
- TBD - Onsite Orientation and Reception
- TBD - Phase 2: Financial Planning Case Study Oral Presentations
- TBD - Phase 3: "How Do You Know?"Challenge
- October 19-21 - Students Participate in Annual Conference Networking and Learning Opportunities
- Teams may consist of up to three undergraduate students. Students may not participate in more than one team.
- All participating students must be enrolled in an undergraduate degree program registered with the CFP Board of Standards or related field of study as of the Phase 1 Written Case submission deadline, June 14.
- Students considered graduate students by their school may not participate.
- Each team must be represented by an Academic Advisor.
- Students are prohibited from seeking advice from professionals or from persons not participating in the challenge.
- Please limit one team per school.
- Submit your team's application.
- Financial Planning Challenge 2012 Guidelines
- Phase 1: Written Financial Planning Case Study
- Phase 1: Case Study Supplement
- Phase 1: Case Grading Rubric
- Phase 2: Financial Planning Case Study Presentation Guidelines
- Phase 2: Case Grading Rubric
LAST YEAR'S WINNING TEAMS:
First Place Overall - Kansas State University
Second Place Overall - Virginia Tech Team 2
Third Place Overall - Texas Tech University
First Place Phase 1 - Kansas State
First Place Phase 2 - Texas Tech University
First Place Phase 3 - Virginia Tech Team 2