by Loic Jeanjean
You only have one shot at making a good first impression; a well-written bio on your website can make all the difference. A winning biography will help prospects determine if you are a good match for their needs. A good bio should always say-in an engaging way-who you are, what your expertise is and how you can help clients and prospects.
Your bio is an advertisement for your business and an opportunity to make you very real to your website visitors. It provides details that reveal your personality, so people can get a sense of what working with you will be like.
Although website bios are not limited by page length, it is a good idea to be selective about the details you include. Online readers tend to skim through content, so consider formatting your bio with bullets, short paragraphs and important information set off in bold.
The following questions can help you construct a comprehensive bio. Respond to as many questions as you consider relevant, and include additional details that are important to you.
- What is your financial title (investment representative, financial planner, etc.)?
- How long have you been in the industry?
- Have you had more than one role in the financial industry?
- Do you have other relevant experience? Describe and indicate how this relates to the work you do today and how it can enhance your ability to help clients.
- Why should clients choose you as their financial adviser?
- What do you most enjoy about helping clients?
- How do you keep in touch with clients and provide them the information they need?
- What is your education?
- What are your published works?
- What awards or professional distinctions have you received (rookie adviser award, etc.)?
- What professional designations do you hold?
Strengths and Beliefs
- What makes you unique?
- What are your strengths?
- What are your beliefs about the profession?
- Do you work with special markets (retirees, families, business owners, etc.)? How do you help these markets?
- How do you describe your community involvement?
- Why is it important to you?
- What is your marital and family status (if you wish)?
- What are your hobbies and interests outside work? This can be especially effective if you target a specific type of clientele.
Incorporate your own personal style and make your copy engaging. This will allow you to sell yourself through your bio and reach out to your website visitors.