by Caleb Brown, CFP
NexGen Chair Mary Bell capped off her three years of service on the NexGen Executive Committee by putting together a robust education program at FPA Experience 2012 in San Antonio in late September. Thank you, Mary, for your dedication, creativity and leadership.
Heath Jackson organized several popular NexGen outings. Social gatherings provided participants opportunities to get a true taste of Texas during dinner at the Gristmill Steakhouse, the Reckless Kelly concert at Gruene Hall and a riverboat tour of the River Walk.
At the NexGen town hall meeting held during FPA Experience 2012, I shared these accomplishments of the NexGen community:
- Converted our online platform from a Yahoo message board to FPA Connect.
- Instituted the NexGen gathering scholarship and awarded inaugural scholarships to Blake Williams and Jessica Bokhart.
- Increased membership from approximately 250 to more than 2,000; all FPA members who meet the eligibility requirements for NexGen are now automatically added to the community.
- Grew the number of local NexGen chapters from 21 to 25. New chapters include Georgia, Colorado, Illinois and Indiana. Chapters in Tennessee and Maryland are in pre-planning stages.
- Established local NexGen leader groups on FPA Connect and held three conference calls to discuss best practices.
- Created 10 NexGen liaison positions at local FPA chapters.
Part of my role as 2013 NexGen chair will be putting together the "Powered by NexGen" education sessions for FPA Experience 2013 in Orlando, Fla. I invite you to share your ideas on sessions you would like to see. Ideas for social events are welcome, too.
As my year as NexGen president winds down, I continue to be impressed with our community. It is amazing to see how many members have grown in their careers to become great planners, renowned speakers and leaders of firms and of the profession. You can hardly attend a conference or pick up a magazine these days without a NexGen member being recognized. I think the outlook for the profession and the NexGen community remains strong. I look forward to watching this group continue to shape the future through thought leadership, influence and local, regional and national leadership.
Finally, I want to recognize Jennifer Quigley, who will serve as NexGen president in 2013. She was instrumental in the progress we accomplished in 2012.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.